Welcome to the Maine Mindfulness Project
We are part of a growing worldwide movement to teach and promote meditation as a way to awaken personal potential to create well being, happiness and global peace.
Learning to live with a peaceful mind and compassionate heart leads to Inspired Presence Evolution.™
Peace and happiness are shared human values benefiting self and other equally. Mindfulness meditation leads to a deeply felt compassion and joy that extends to others with a wish that they too experience the happiness that we ourselves aspire to.
Humanity is benefiting tremendously as more and more individuals and social environments are guided and consciously transformed by practices that teach and value peace, wisdom, positivity, equanimity and compassion.
A seed of compassion planted with loving kindness in the fertile ground of awareness blooms into a beautiful expression of being.
Meditation: What is it?
The phrase 'to meditate' can mean many things: to examine, observe, reflect, question, weigh. In Sanskrit: to become, in Tibetan: to make familiar.
Meditation is a practice to bring deeper understanding of what we mean by mind or consciousness. Meditation practice allows us to notice how mind operates, is constantly active and engaged, operating on habituation and offers the opportunity to observe how presence quiets and settles if there is another way to pay attention.
By learning how to identify and arrive in state of mind that is naturally and innately aware through a gradual process we broaden our practices of calm abiding, skillful analytical insight and compassionate wisdom.
Mindfulness is awareness and intuition of perception, sensation, habituation and conceptual thought. It is a nonjudgmental quality of mind which does not anticipate the future or reflect back on the past. It is a state of relaxed alert consciousness abiding in the present moment.
Mindfulness Meditation is a mind/body practice to help us achieve balance mentally, physically, emotionally and socially.
We learn to guard the gates of body, speech and mind by focusing attention more closely on what we do, say, think and experience. It is a process to investigate consciousness and reality. We come to appreciate how deeply interconnected moment to moment existence arises based on the preceding moments, choices, habits and perspectives we pay attention to.
Meditation = Multiple Benefits Through Practice
- Generates happiness, calm and clarity
- Helps maintain overall mind-body health and wellness
- Improves concentration and learning ability
- Mind/body relaxation
- Creates healthy living, learning and work environments
- Promotes joy and productivity
- Better decision making and reports of higher self-esteem
- Mindfulness-based depression therapies reduce health care visits. Click here www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140821115838.htm
- Reduces blood pressure and stress
- Supports non-violent conflict resolution
- A natural cure for insomnia
- Mindfulness treatment as effective as CBT for depression, anxiety. Click this link to read more about the study: www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141127112755.htm Group mindfulness treatment is as effective as individual cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) in patients with depression and anxiety, according to a new study. This is the first randomized study to compare group mindfulness treatment and individual cognitive behavioral therapy in patients with depression and anxiety in primary health care.
- "Mindfulness at school reduces (likelihood of) depression-related symptoms in adolescents. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/03/130315095916.htm
It is highly beneficial to learn from a practitioner who has trained with skillful teachers. There are many ways and places to meditate: alone, with a group, indoors or outside. There is a practice for everyone that works and discovering that for yourself is truly amazing.
View our class schedule and contact us to attend a session today.